Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest athlete in your school's history?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 Mbulldog42

Mbulldog42

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:02 PM

Ashbrook-James Worthy

#27 The Outcast

The Outcast

JV Team

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:47 PM

AL Brown--Lance Smith no doubt In my humble option-Lacy Brumley a distant second, but I know OL guys get no love

#28 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

AL Brown--Lance Smith no doubt In my humble option-Lacy Brumley a distant second, but I know OL guys get no love

I would agree about Lance Outcast. Kannapolis has had some very outstanding linemen come through their doors. I would also have to mention one Pat Moore. Moore still holds the record at Brown for the Bench Press at 500lbs and Dead Lift. He eclipsed that record at 525 when he got to App State. Coach Boswell told me the only thing that held Pat back from getting into a Division one school was his height. 4A State Champion in Wrestling I might add as well. Defeated Ashbrook's two time defending state wrestling champion Derek Fuell in 58 seconds!!

13645104_1339814596031957_48213959972991

#29 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

I would agree about Lance Outcast. Kannapolis has had some very outstanding linemen come through their doors. I would also have to mention one Pat Moore. Moore still holds the record at Brown for the Bench Press at 500lbs and Dead Lift. He eclipsed that record at 525 when he got to App State. Coach Boswell told me the only thing that held Pat back from getting into a Division one school was his height. 4A State Champion in Wrestling I might add as well!!

13645104_1339814596031957_48213959972991

I'm almost certain had a class with him at App State once-I remembered him because he had been pictured in the Observer's High School football preseason preview (lifting weights).  Seemed like a pretty good guy, but quiet.  Did he wrestle at ASU?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#30 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

I'm almost certain had a class with him at App State once-I remembered him because he had been pictured in the Observer's High School football preseason preview (lifting weights).  Seemed like a pretty good guy, but quiet.  Did he wrestle at ASU?

I think he did FHS, but I'm not sure. Pat is a super nice guy. Most around here call him the gentle giant because he is so humble, but believe me he is anything but gentle. He works for Cabarrus County Probation/Parole, and I have assisted him on some high risk warrant services. It's always nice to go into a tense situation with somebody like Pat standing beside you. He is still as strong today as he was back then!!

#31 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

More times than not, Haskell Stanback comes into the conversation when you talk about Kannapolis stars. Haskell, though not producing the kind of rushing numbers Nick Maddox produced in high school went on to have stellar careers in both college at Tennessee and then 6 years in the NFL with the Atlanta Falcons. You have to understand that A.L. Brown is a football school. That's all we have ever been known for, and had any sort of critical notoriety in, that's why all of our best athletes were football stars.

13882523_1339834752696608_71796275044106

#32 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

Lance is probably the most accomplished out of all the A.L. Brown stars who made it to the NFL. 11 seasons in all. I can remember playing basketball with Lance when he was in the 6th grade and I was in the 1st at Fred L Wilson. He would pick me up and let me slam dunk the ball through the net. Big thrill for a kid back then. Super nice individual.

13886225_1339847779361972_43391481283373

#33 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

Ethan Horton also goes down as another great standout from K-Town who excelled after his college career at UNC Chapel Hill. Played 8 seasons in the NFL with the Washington Redskins, Los Angeles Raiders and Kansas City Chiefs. Spent 6 of those eight seasons with the Raiders. One of the finest versatile QBs A.L. Brown ever produced.

13882696_1339938302686253_73424806532583

#34 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

Mike Morton was probably the last of the Wonder standouts to have a good career in the NFL. Morton played 7 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers, St Louis Rams and Los Angeles Raiders. Morton spent four of his seven seasons with the Raiders, and got a Superbowl ring in 1999 with the St Louis Rams.

13669209_1339942456019171_39327936167747

#35 Bigtenden78

Bigtenden78

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:23 PM

For South Rowan, the two best male athletes would have been Greg Poole and Michael Ramseur.

Poole was a star on the gridiron and diamond for the Raiders, he went on to earn All-ACC and All-American honors as a DB and punt returner for the UNC Tar Heels.

Ramseur was a very electric running back who also excelled at basketball and track. Ramseur was a very good back for Wake Forest in the mid-80's earning numerous ACC honors. He was on his way to earning an NFL opportunity before tragically being gunned down in a tragic shooting.

Best female athlete would have been Tracy Connor who led the basketball team to three deep runs in the 4A basketball playoffs. She was a McDonalds All-American and starred at Wake Forest where she was named to the All-ACC 20th Century Team.

I played against G Poole in football and he did smash mouth me a few times but I did bust his ass ann level him in the backfield a couple times!! He was a class act as well as his family!!

#36 Bigtenden78

Bigtenden78

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

That's a tough question to ask, but I will have to say these get my votes.

Nick Maddox: 1995-1998- 6,624 rushing yards after four seasons. Not much about Maddox that hasn't already been said, the Wonder legend began his varsity career in 1995, sharing the backfield with Traun Brown. One of the most sought after running backs in the country, Maddox totaled 2,536 yards and 33 touchdowns on 267 carries as a senior (9.5 yards per carry) and had 20 catches for 268 yards and eight scores and added four punt returns for touchdowns of 50 yards or more. Maddox finished his career with 6,624 rushing yards and 114 touchdowns (a state record at the time) Parade All-American and first-team USA Today All-USA selection and the USA Today Player of the Year for the state of North Carolina.

Tom Lemming's No. 1 prospect in the Mid-Atlantic and No. 2 prospect nationally. Super Prep's No. 4 running back (No. 14 player overall) nationally, No.1 running back in the country by Prep Star and offensive MVP of the ACC region. Regarded as the No. 8 prospect in the country by The Sporting News, listed at No. 22 overall by the NRA. Named the 1998 Gatorade Circle of Champions high school player of the year for the Southern region, and the state. Maddox carried the Wonders to the 1997 State 3A Championship where he set four state championship records. Though most of those records have since been broken, his record for longest past reception for a touchdown of 99 yards still stands today. Maddox scored two touchdowns in the 1998 Shrine Bowl of 12 and 45 yards. Maddox would end his high school career at the conclusion of the 1998 season, signing with Florida State University of the Atlantic Coast Conference in 1999.

Haskell Stanback: 1967-1969- 3,352 yards after three seasons. Regarded as the best RB to ever play at A. L. Brown until being eclipsed by Nick Maddox in 1997, Stanback played for one seasons at G. W. Carver High School before integration in 1967. Stanback rushed for 511 yards, scoring 56 points as the Blue Eagles went on to win the Western title in 1966. Of Stanback's 280 career points, 226 of them came while wearing the Green and White. Stanback eclipsed the 3000 yard career rushing mark when he picked up 136 yards in 17 carries against Salisbury in 1969, also breaking the 1000 yard rushing mark for the season. Stanback concluded his senior season rushing for 294 yards in his final three games against Thomasville, South Rowan and Concord. Stanback would end his career at the conclusion of the 1969 season, signing with the University of Tennessee of the Southeastern Conference in 1970. Played six seasons with the Atlanta Falcons in the NFL.

Ethan Horton: 1978-1980- 863 Yards Rushing: 1560 Yards Passing: 2,423 Yards Total Offense-13 TDs: Ethan Horton started his varsity career as a sophomore in 1978. The three year starter would end his career in 1980 after taking the Wonders to the state 4A playoffs for a second straight year in third year head coach Bob Boswell. Signed with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and had a substantial career in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Raiders and Washington Redskins.

Maddox was the Best RB Brown ever produced.... I seen him break more ankles in games than anyone..He will always be our legend, My nephew Charlie Fox played with him and was best friends.. I still have a jersey signed from him but one of my most prized things I have from him is a FSU hat that he had signed  and said MUM the word Big D. two days before he announced his choice for FSU, Still talk to him every month or two.. He has always been pure class!! Ethan benched 385 as a sophmore.. what a horse!! We could go on and on about our Division 1 players and a couple makeing it really big time in the NFL... Lance as a all pro and of course M Morton that captained the Raiders defense his last 3 years for the Raiders!! Wow Boggs we have been some lucky guys to see so many great players at Brown!!

#37 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:47 AM

Maddox was the Best RB Brown ever produced.... I seen him break more ankles in games than anyone..He will always be our legend, My nephew Charlie Fox played with him and was best friends.. I still have a jersey signed from him but one of my most prized things I have from him is a FSU hat that he had signed  and said MUM the word Big D. two days before he announced his choice for FSU, Still talk to him every month or two.. He has always been pure class!! Ethan benched 385 as a sophmore.. what a horse!! We could go on and on about our Division 1 players and a couple makeing it really big time in the NFL... Lance as a all pro and of course M Morton that captained the Raiders defense his last 3 years for the Raiders!! Wow Boggs we have been some lucky guys to see so many great players at Brown!!

Absolutely Bigtenden78. That's why there is so much pride in our program. I recalled up top when I was in the 1st grade at Fred L Wilson, my sister Lori and Lance were both there in the 6th grade. I use to go out to the basketball court and watch the big guys play basketball. Lance would let me play some. He would pick me up and let me slam dunk the ball. Lol. Some great memories in old K-Town. Will always be proud to say I come from such a great era!!

#38 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

School's history or out of all of NC?

We'll take both.... Bobby Bell.

Career highlights and awards

#39 Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

JV Team

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:18 PM

Bell went to Cleveland HS.

Try Tommy London or Robert Williams instead. Maybe Honorable Mentions to Chad Holbrook, Norris Hopper, Harvey McSwain, and Marcus Mauney.

#40 Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

JV Team

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:21 PM

Ashbrook-James Worthy

Meh. Dude was o.k. I guess. But I'll take Julian Rauch any day.

#41 thekidd12

thekidd12

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:08 PM

School's history or out of all of NC?

We'll take both.... Bobby Bell.

Career highlights and awards

Not my HS but if you are talking football and old timers like this I believe this graduate of Atkins accomplishments may measure up to almost anyone's:

Did some internet fact checking after thinking about this for a while. What about Carl Eller? Remembered watching him play when I was young so looked up his stats,
2 time All American at Minnesota while playing BOTH ways
Runner up for the Outland Trophy 1963
College Football Hall of Fame 2006
6 time Pro Bowler
5 time All Pro
2 time second team All Pro
All Conference 7 times
1971 NFL Defensive Player of the Year
133 1/2 Sacks
1969 NFL Champion
3 time NFC Champion
Vikings won 10 Central Division Titles in 11 years beginning in 1968