Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest athlete in your school's history?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:07 PM

Recent events at FHS have gotten me to thinking about my school's sports history.  I am going to list the greatest male and female athletes in FHS history and talk about some who I consider contenders in each category.  I am curious to hear from others what they think about this question.

Male-Leon Johnson: All-State in football (eventually starred at UNC and played seven seasons in the NFL), state champion in long jump as a senior, starter on a regional qualifier basketball team, baseball starter drafted by the Giants (almost certainly on pure athletic potential).  Probably the record holder for dunks in a season despite being no taller than 6'2, won something like five events in the conference track meet as a senior.

Contenders-BJ Emmons: All-State in football (scholarship to Alabama), ran a leg on a state champion 4X100 team, played parts of three seasons in basketball, played one season of baseball.  Danny Johnson: made it to the D league in basketball, at one time held the scoring record for a state championship basketball game in the 1994 state title game, star soccer player, Matt Briggs: Pitched for Wake Forest, starter on a regional finalist baseball team, starter on the 1994 state champion basketball team (forbidden from playing footballl due to medical reasons), still holds the Post 21 record for most home runs in a season.

Female-Ali Ford: State female athlete of the year as a senior, four year starter in basketball, lettered in five sports (basketball, softball, golf, cross country and track), lettered in basketball and softball at Elon, selected to SOCON all-conference team multiple times, playing basketball professionally in Iceland.

Contenders-Kerri Gardin, N.C. Miss Basketball her Senior year (won state title that same year), 4 year starter at Va. Tech, played three seasons in the WNBA.  Also played on a state champion volleyball team.  Natalie Watts: 4 year basketball starter, two time state champion, three state title game appearances, four straight regional appearances, also starred in soccer, successful dentist in Morganton today.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#2 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

For North Stanly, I'll take my friend Garland Davis over any other athlete.  Garland is a great guy too...I'm glad to call him a friend.

Here's a neat article about Garland:  http://archive.salis...isbury Post

#3 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:28 PM

Garland Davis is a class act!  They do not come any nicer than him.  He opted to leave West Badin before it closed to integrate North Stanly his senior year.

He committed to Catawba when he was an underclassman.  He was later offered by some of the elite programs in the nation but his parents told him he had already given his word to Coach Mora.

Don Montgomery would be the male from Albemarle HS.  All American TE at NC State.  All conference on ACC Championship baseball team. Buffalo Bills TE was drafted and served as an Army Infantry Officer in Viet Nam.  Awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (one medal below Medal of Honor).  Dues to injuries was unable to resume his career.  Agent Orange killed him in the late 1980's.  A man's man.  His brother pitched in the majors for the Royals and his other brother was an All ACC player at NC State.

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 17,877 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

For South Rowan, the two best male athletes would have been Greg Poole and Michael Ramseur.

Poole was a star on the gridiron and diamond for the Raiders, he went on to earn All-ACC and All-American honors as a DB and punt returner for the UNC Tar Heels.

Ramseur was a very electric running back who also excelled at basketball and track. Ramseur was a very good back for Wake Forest in the mid-80's earning numerous ACC honors. He was on his way to earning an NFL opportunity before tragically being gunned down in a tragic shooting.

Best female athlete would have been Tracy Connor who led the basketball team to three deep runs in the 4A basketball playoffs. She was a McDonalds All-American and starred at Wake Forest where she was named to the All-ACC 20th Century Team.

#5 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

Poole started on the basketball team for a few years.  Was an awesome baseballer also.

Ramseur was a beast.  Speed, loose hips, and good size.

Connor was dominant.

#6 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:22 PM

That's a tough question to ask, but I will have to say these get my votes.

Nick Maddox: 1995-1998- 6,624 rushing yards after four seasons. Not much about Maddox that hasn't already been said, the Wonder legend began his varsity career in 1995, sharing the backfield with Traun Brown. One of the most sought after running backs in the country, Maddox totaled 2,536 yards and 33 touchdowns on 267 carries as a senior (9.5 yards per carry) and had 20 catches for 268 yards and eight scores and added four punt returns for touchdowns of 50 yards or more. Maddox finished his career with 6,624 rushing yards and 114 touchdowns (a state record at the time) Parade All-American and first-team USA Today All-USA selection and the USA Today Player of the Year for the state of North Carolina.

Tom Lemming's No. 1 prospect in the Mid-Atlantic and No. 2 prospect nationally. Super Prep's No. 4 running back (No. 14 player overall) nationally, No.1 running back in the country by Prep Star and offensive MVP of the ACC region. Regarded as the No. 8 prospect in the country by The Sporting News, listed at No. 22 overall by the NRA. Named the 1998 Gatorade Circle of Champions high school player of the year for the Southern region, and the state. Maddox carried the Wonders to the 1997 State 3A Championship where he set four state championship records. Though most of those records have since been broken, his record for longest past reception for a touchdown of 99 yards still stands today. Maddox scored two touchdowns in the 1998 Shrine Bowl of 12 and 45 yards. Maddox would end his high school career at the conclusion of the 1998 season, signing with Florida State University of the Atlantic Coast Conference in 1999.

Haskell Stanback: 1967-1969- 3,352 yards after three seasons. Regarded as the best RB to ever play at A. L. Brown until being eclipsed by Nick Maddox in 1997, Stanback played for one seasons at G. W. Carver High School before integration in 1967. Stanback rushed for 511 yards, scoring 56 points as the Blue Eagles went on to win the Western title in 1966. Of Stanback's 280 career points, 226 of them came while wearing the Green and White. Stanback eclipsed the 3000 yard career rushing mark when he picked up 136 yards in 17 carries against Salisbury in 1969, also breaking the 1000 yard rushing mark for the season. Stanback concluded his senior season rushing for 294 yards in his final three games against Thomasville, South Rowan and Concord. Stanback would end his career at the conclusion of the 1969 season, signing with the University of Tennessee of the Southeastern Conference in 1970. Played six seasons with the Atlanta Falcons in the NFL.

Ethan Horton: 1978-1980- 863 Yards Rushing: 1560 Yards Passing: 2,423 Yards Total Offense-13 TDs: Ethan Horton started his varsity career as a sophomore in 1978. The three year starter would end his career in 1980 after taking the Wonders to the state 4A playoffs for a second straight year in third year head coach Bob Boswell. Signed with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and had a substantial career in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Raiders and Washington Redskins.

#7 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:58 PM

Elijah Hood. Enough said. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#8 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:58 PM

I haven't been around long but I have say the Best 2 Male Athletes I have seen at Mooresville are: Akease Rankin and Tommy Bullock

Female: Amber Sherrill

Again, There are more qualified people to answer but these are my picks for my Time in HS Ranks but There many other great athletes that I have seen like Shawn Lester, Ralph Montgomery , Pat O Brien, Etc Etc

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#9 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

I haven't been around long but I have say the Best 2 Male Athletes I have seen at Mooresville are: Akease Rankin and Tommy Bullock

Female: Amber Sherrill

Again, There are more qualified people to answer but these are my picks for my Time in HS Ranks but There many other great athletes that I have seen like Shawn Lester, Ralph Montgomery , Pat O Brien, Etc Etc

Did you forget J.R. Sweezy??

#10 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:11 PM

Cory Alexander was not a bad athlete.

#11 PrinceOfDudley

PrinceOfDudley

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

We've had several that could take this honor, hmmmm.....

Random: David Amerson, currently playing with the Oakland Raiders

The Dudley Panthers

State Championships

Dboyz Football: 1951, 1966 (co-champs), 2007, 2008, 2013, 2016
Panthers Basketball: 1996, 2005, 2006

Pantherettes Basketball: 2009

#12 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:34 PM

He wasn't from my time

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#13 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

Cory Alexander was not a bad athlete.

He was good but again not from my time so

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#14 Eagles 1313

Eagles 1313

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:37 AM

East Forsyth

Male- Joe Legarde: only person in school history to be Conference Player of the Year in Football, Basketball and Baseball in the same school year! 1992-1993.  Drafted by LA Dodgers in 1993 and made it to AAA before injuries occured.

Female-For me this is a very tough one because we have had several stand out female athletes.  I will do some more research and come back to this one.

#15 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

Is there another sport other than football?? lol

#16 bamatide13

bamatide13

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

Tuscola

James Martin - 1982-1986 - Track

Ohio State Graduate - Big 10 All Conference Team.

Tuscola High School - 51'- 1/2" Triple Jump, Long Jump 25'-4", 100 meter 10.39, 200 Meter 20.82 - All-records that will never be broken at Tuscola and within reach of all four State records. We use to call him "The Specimen."

#17 smashmouth5

smashmouth5

JV Team

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:48 PM

Crest

David Thompson

#18 Bobcat

Bobcat

Rookie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

Kernersville Glenn's best male athlete would be Ray Farmer class of 1992. 6'3" 220, 6.4 in the sixty, clocked at 90+ from the mound in bullpen, but never pitched. He was drafted by the Mariners but went to Duke instead where he became an All-American free safety and set national record (I think) for blocked kicks - Lee Corso talked about him every week! He was drafted by Philadelphia Eagles where he played until traded to Panthers where he ended his career with injury.

"Funny" (not if you're old school though) anecdote: In his senior year Ray went out for basketball - I think possibly even added to the team late. Anyway, he said he," wanted a dunk." He hadn't played basketball and was not accomplished/polished, but one night he exploded down the baseline, left the floor, and two-hand slammed one home STRONG. The place went crazy. The next day, he was done with basketball - quit. That was Ray: phenomenal athlete, but a little "unpredictable/vivacious."

The only player I ever personally saw as good or better than Ray with size, speed, strength and multi-sport excellence was Trip Welbourne of Page in late 80s.

#19 burnstweeter

burnstweeter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:30 PM

Burns--Tony Scott, Derrick Chambers and Scottie Montgomery from the 1994 title team all reached the NFL. Darius Ramsey may have had his Western Carolina career not been cut short due to concussions. Troy Goss, Lance Camp and Brandon Littlejohn were all great QB's.

#20 chrismac2122

chrismac2122

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:48 PM

Best Athlete from NCSD would be Craig Brown.(mid 70's)  He is still in great shape. He could do it all back in HS days. He was a RB for football, Guard in basketball and ran track in spring. We didn't have baseball but if we did, he would have played baseball and be quite good at it. He did play softball after graduation and he can hit from either side and got great power. If I remember correctly, when he was young, he got ran over by a train and was told he would never walk again by a doctor. Doctor was way off the base. He has most records for football .

Stacey Rogers (class of 82')would be right behind Craig Brown. He is Rodney Rogers's older brother. (WF standout and NBA player for a long time) Stacey was a WR in football and guard in basketball. He had highest scoring total in basketball in NCSD history until Randall  Bostian broke it in early 90s. The catch was Randall was only about 50 more points than Stacey. Randall Bostian did it in 4 years while Stacey did in 3 years. The reason why Stacey only play 3 years was that he aged out in senior year. 

By the way both players won Burke county player of the year and National Deaf player of the year. 

Charles Crowe who played for NCSD from 1959 to 62' would be in top 3 ......I know he was a great football player and was a great man to boot. I am not sure how was he in other sports. I know that he probably done well in track but don't think he played basketball. That why I pick Craig and Stacey since they were better all around athlete than Charles. Charles was a great golfer and founder for Southeastern Deaf Golf Association too. 

I have to think about female since we had quite a few great players.

#21 chrismac2122

chrismac2122

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

Friday night in K-town .....key word Athlete is the thing! I would say that Ethan Horton might be a better athlete than Nick Maddox since Ethan played QB in HS then turned into RB for UNC. Did he become a WR in pro for Oakland Raiders???

#22 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:42 AM

Friday night in K-town .....key word Athlete is the thing! I would say that Ethan Horton might be a better athlete than Nick Maddox since Ethan played QB in HS then turned into RB for UNC. Did he become a WR in pro for Oakland Raiders???

Tight end.  He was a solid hoopster and not a bad 400 meter guy if I remember correctly.

#23 Superkase

Superkase

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

Franklin High School: Shawn Bryson.  Four sport athlete (football, track, baseball, basketball).  At Franklin, he was the best player around in all of those sports.

He was way underused in high school as a running back.  At the University of Tennessee, he was a fullback and was drafted by the Buffalo Bills.  He finished with the Detroit Lions six or seven seasons later.  In the NFL, he was sometimes a primary back but usually used as a third down back.

#24 uncgrad1998

uncgrad1998

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

Murphy's would have to be Carl Pickens.

Murphy Bulldogs
NC 2A State Champs: 1974
NC 1A State Champs: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1996, 2011, 2013, 2016
NC 2A Western State Champs: 1970
Western Region Champs: 1974, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1994, 1996, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016
Smoky Mountain Conference Champs: 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1975, 1978, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2016

#25 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:21 PM

At Cullowhee it was a Cottrell, not Mike, but his brother Todd. 4-year starter in football, basketball and baseball. was the Shrine bowl QB his senior year.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

JeffChapman-Dynamic