Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Will Grier tests positive for PEDs

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#51 #1footballfan

#1footballfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:22 PM

All these kids entering college should have to watch the episode "A Football Life" on Lyle Alzado, that show certainly shows the effects of steroids and supplements on the body, very, very sad.....  

#52 6mvp1

6mvp1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

I had to use that pic for the fools who get brave on their mobile devices... Have to let em know their is a beast behind mine!

#53 6mvp1

6mvp1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:41 PM

It's tough Bc I can imagine the pressure Grier feels is pretty large. Then to get thrown into the world of sec football where everyone looks like a grown man at age 18... And very athletic... Man of whom have already been on illegal substances... The daily physical and mental beating you take... Anyone out here would entertain the idea of using a ped...

Here I am talking myself into having compassion

I'm blaming it on wrigley

#54 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:05 PM

He won't be able to return until 7th game of the 2016 season......

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#55 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

Bad decision. No question. I have never had the athletic prowess to have to consider using steriods because like many of us a 20% increase in my ability wouldn't come close to closing the gap. Lol. However I have thought many times that if there was a pill that would make me that same 20% better at my job you bet I would consider taking it even if I knew there were potential long term concerns.

To me I get this more than the kid who gets busted smoking weed, but that's just me.

I am just one of those guys that try to walk a bit in someone's shoes before I bust them in the face for wrong doing.

#56 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

Bad decision. No question. I have never had the athletic prowess to have to consider using steriods because like many of us a 20% increase in my ability wouldn't come close to closing the gap. Lol. However I have thought many times that if there was a pill that would make me that same 20% better at my job you bet I would consider taking it even if I knew there were potential long term concerns.

To me I get this more than the kid who gets busted smoking weed, but that's just me.

I am just one of those guys that try to walk a bit in someone's shoes before I bust them in the face for wrong doing.

I tried to, but when it came out that he didn't consult anyone on the UF staff, or even read the bottle then it was hard for me to have any sympathy because he could've prevented this by just being smart. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#57 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:38 PM

Big loss for sure, but the Gators didn't get where they are on the efforts of one man alone. They will be fine with Treon Harris. I will say this however, at least he didn't walk off with a hand full of Crab Legs from the Piggly Wiggly!!! Go Gators!!!!!!! Gators for Life!!!!!!

12068779_1150157281664357_85164137022036

#58 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:41 PM

Big loss for sure, but the Gators didn't get where they are on the efforts of one man alone. They will be fine with Treon Harris. I will say this however, at least he didn't walk off with a hand full of Crab Legs from the Piggly Wiggly!!! Go Gators!!!!!!! Gators for Life!!!!!!

12068779_1150157281664357_85164137022036

Sorry dude, I like you and love your site but I'd rather have my child steal crab legs than take PEDs.

#59 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:59 PM

Sorry dude, I like you and love your site but I'd rather have my child steal crab legs than take PEDs.

I don't know that much about the substance he confessed to taking or what it does so I can't speak on the subject intelligently, but I do think on the grand scale of NCAA violations we have seen over the years, and the way some student athletes seem to get away with their sins in some instances, and the fact there are plenty of Gator Haters out there, this may be just a little harsh punishment wise, but I'm just the editor of a web page and die hard Gator what do I know?? lol  May I take a page from Brian Bosworth for a moment "NCAA" National Communist Against Athletes. "Welcome to Russia"  LOL, LOL Abolish the Entity of the NCAA, They are as fickle as that bunch in Washington DC and just as money grubbing!!

12118723_1150161528330599_25756707692269

#60 6mvp1

6mvp1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:05 PM

I understand this completely.... Hopefully for him it's a wake up call. It seems like everyone in his family has desires to be famous. Makes you wonder what's really going on.

My suggestion to Grier is to slow down, get your education, be the best ball player you can be, and don't let the pressure of being famous push you to lose your integrity.

This can be beneficial to you in the grand scheme of things

#61 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

I don't know that much about the substance he confessed to taking or what it does so I can't speak on the subject intelligently, but I do think on the grand scale of NCAA violations we have seen over the years, and the way some student athletes seem to get away with their sins in some instances, and the fact there are plenty of Gator Haters out there, this may be just a little harsh punishment wise, but I'm just the editor of a web page and die hard Gator what do I know?? lol May I take a page from Brian Bosworth for a moment "NCAA" National Communist Against Athletes. "Welcome to Russia" LOL, LOL Abolish the Entity of the NCAA, They are as fickle as that bunch in Washington DC and just as money grubbing!!

You left me speechless. Great response and even a better shirt.

#62 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:19 PM

You left me speechless. Great response and even a better shirt.

I remember when The Boz came out in OU's Bowl game with that shirt on and got asked to be removed from the coin toss. I know he ended up regretting later in life the decision to wear that shirt. Thought it was humorous though!! lol

#63 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,181 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:25 PM

Here are the benefits and possible side effects of the supplement taken (Ligandrol)

Benefits
– Strength
– Lean mass
– Fat loss
– Endurance
– Body recomposition
– Joint healing

Potential side effects
• Male pattern baldness
• Body hair growth

Since I have the latter two already I am ready to try it out for those benfits.  LOL.

#64 Creekprogram

Creekprogram

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:26 PM

Creek program.., I feel for your kid. I suffer from chronic sinus infections and man it's TERRIBLE. I'm sure his coaches tell him to practice Bc he has a lil "cold"

Just spoke to my son and guess what was one of the items after practice today. He said Coach reinforced that remember anything you put into your body that is not on an approved list I. The training room or on your profile it has to be cleared by the Head Trainer. I once again asked him if this could have been a mistake he said Dad no chance before they go public they have checked double checked and made sure that all of the the NCAA and university are not liable. Wow.

#65 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

Let me also go on record as saying I do not condone athletes taking anything performance enhancing whatsoever. I look at what happened to Lyle Alzado who lost his life because of it. I think Grier is capable of being a great athlete without it, and I don't pretend to know what he took or why he took it, that's between him and God. So much gets under the radar of the NCAA. I think they are an entity of opportunity when it benefits them. All of you know as I know that today's college institutions are nothing more than farming grounds for the NFL. It's all about the almighty $$$$$ for them. Watch the 30 for 30 on Maurice Clarett and you will understand perfectly what I'm getting at. I think they reacting for the sake of reacting and nothing more. "That's just my two cents" LOL LOL

#66 6mvp1

6mvp1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:20 PM

Since I have the latter two already I am ready to try it out for those benfits. LOL.

I'll get us a bottle tango

#67 SW1985

SW1985

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

Will Grier gained 15lbs from his 2014 season to 2015

http://www.gatorzone...4&player_id=412 This is from the 2014 season.

He is currently listed at 6'2" 215lbs according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Will_Grier

I have personally seen him both seasons in Gainsville, most recent the Ole Miss game. This stuff about huge weight gains is exaggerated and simply not true.

He took an OTC product that contained ligandrol, which is not a steroid. Whether he took it knowing that it is a banded substance by the NCAA or not doesn't excuse him. Being from North Carolina I have followed this kid closely since he has been at Florida. There are at least  3 places local to my area here in Florida that sell ligandrol and/or products containing ligandrol. Everyday I see kids at the gym taking NO2 Nitric Oxide or C4 Creatine, to increase strength and stamina........most every time the term "PED" is attached people automatically assume steroids....Ritilan and Adderall are banned substances by MLB and deemed PED's but are far from steroids.

#68 6mvp1

6mvp1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

Yea and I'm Aaron rodgers

#69 Livstrng

Livstrng

Established Member

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:10 AM

I hope the FBI gets involved and finds out who was supplying this kid with the juice. Everyone is shaming this kid and rightfully so but others are probably to blame.

If history is any indicator there's a sting chance that some of his teammates are also juiced. I like the kid and I like Florida but this is a black eye for that program.

When you say Juice I take you're talking about illegal steroids.  How do you know it was Juice?  Have you seen the list of banned substances by the NCAA?  It is very vague outside of saying anabolic substances.....It also says that anything related to substances on their list is also banned.  Here's a good one For example hydrochlorothiazide is a banned substance by the NCAA and is considered performance enhancing.  That is what most doctors mix with other drugs such as Lisinopril for High Blood Pressure.  He tested positive for PEDs.  That means it could be one of a million different items the NCAA considers to be Performance Enhancing not Steroids.  Half the stuff you can buy over the counter at GNC is banned on the list.  If the kid goes in and talks to the guy at the counter and says "Hey I need to bulk up quick"  He hooks you up with stuff that is perfectly legal to buy in the US and you could use in High School.  Juice as in Steroids are illegal and I doubt he was shooting up knowing how strict the NCAA is with Drug testing now.  Also, why would he do that and risk his entire future?  So, with all that being said I doubt the Feds will be getting involved if the kid was taking something at GNC

#70 6mvp1

6mvp1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:46 AM

Oh u better believe that their are kids wearing the gator uniform that are "juiced"

#71 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:13 AM

When you say Juice I take you're talking about illegal steroids. How do you know it was Juice? Have you seen the list of banned substances by the NCAA? It is very vague outside of saying anabolic substances.....It also says that anything related to substances on their list is also banned. Here's a good one For example hydrochlorothiazide is a banned substance by the NCAA and is considered performance enhancing. That is what most doctors mix with other drugs such as Lisinopril for High Blood Pressure. He tested positive for PEDs. That means it could be one of a million different items the NCAA considers to be Performance Enhancing not Steroids. Half the stuff you can buy over the counter at GNC is banned on the list. If the kid goes in and talks to the guy at the counter and says "Hey I need to bulk up quick" He hooks you up with stuff that is perfectly legal to buy in the US and you could use in High School. Juice as in Steroids are illegal and I doubt he was shooting up knowing how strict the NCAA is with Drug testing now. Also, why would he do that and risk his entire future? So, with all that being said I doubt the Feds will be getting involved if the kid was taking something at GNC

So using your logic we should just shut up and take Grier's word that it was an OTC. Hmmm......what happens if he's lying?

Yes I am being sarcastic but there is a reason. Play within the rules you have no problems. Play outside the rules your ass is ripe for scrutiny.

#72 Creekprogram

Creekprogram

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:37 AM

I don't know that much about the substance he confessed to taking or what it does so I can't speak on the subject intelligently, but I do think on the grand scale of NCAA violations we have seen over the years, and the way some student athletes seem to get away with their sins in some instances, and the fact there are plenty of Gator Haters out there, this may be just a little harsh punishment wise, but I'm just the editor of a web page and die hard Gator what do I know?? lol  May I take a page from Brian Bosworth for a moment "NCAA" National Communist Against Athletes. "Welcome to Russia"  LOL, LOL Abolish the Entity of the NCAA, They are as fickle as that bunch in Washington DC and just as money grubbing!!

The difference is and I am not condoning either the PED's give you a competitive advantage and that is the job of the NCAA to not permit athletes from using anything that is specifically called out in writing in the code of conduct agreement that they all read ans sign as a condition of participating in College athletics....this goes to the core of competition......stealing or getting the "hook up" from a guy at the grocery store for Crab Legs does not impact the performance unless those Crab legs were laced with Lingranol :-)

#73 SW1985

SW1985

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

The kid no doubt made a mistake, but what happen to giving the benefit of the doubt.

Have you seen Grier? He is not some jacked up gorilla that looks like he has been on roids.

His documented gains are 15lbs from 2014 to 2015, but people seem to want to attached steroids to this incident and make up numbers like 30 and 40lbs gains. I have seen him in person in The Swamp over his first 2 seasons at Florida. I was at The Ole Miss game, nothing about his appearance made you think anything along the lines of steroid use. And for the record, ligandrol is not steroids though it is banned by the NCAA. You know what else is banned by the NCAA....caffeine and alcohol......so don't tell me that about 80 percent of the college kids playing sports in America today are not in violation of those 2 items.....they just haven't been caught.

What he did was wrong and he admits it and states that he made the mistake. 

There is an approved list of supplements that are OTC that the NCAA allows and you can believe that athletes are using them, the fact that ligandrol isn't on that list doesn't make the kid some kind of monster or roid head.

He will pay the penalty and lose a year of eligibility and sit out, he let himself and his team down, he knows that. I don't see the point in people trying to make this something that it isn't.

#74 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,181 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:47 AM

I think the penalty is too severe but he should have checked with the training/medical staff.

From the NCAA:

Before consuming any nutritional/dietary supplement product, review the product with the appropriate or designated athletics department staff!

• Dietary supplements are not well regulated and may cause a positive drug test result.
  • Student-athletes have tested positive and lost their eligibility using dietary supplements.
  • Many dietary supplements are contaminated with banned drugs not listed on the label.
  • Any product containing a dietary supplement ingredient is taken at your own risk.

Note to Student-Athletes: There is no complete list of banned substances. Do not rely on this list to rule out any supplement ingredient.

Check with your athletics department staff prior to using a supplement.

#75 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,181 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

Several years ago an Olympic sport athlete was popped on a test.  He was vehement that he had not taken anything that was illegal.  He listed what he had been taking and happened to have the empty powder containers.  Inspectors, think FDA, was able to get samples from that product run and it was found that the product was contaminated with the banned substance.  I think the athlete still was either suspended or had to really put up a fight to overturn it.

JeffChapman-Dynamic