Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Will Grier tests positive for PEDs

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:49 PM

Very, very disappointing story coming out of Gainsville. Will Grier former Davidson Day QB has been suspended for the rest of the season as he has tested positive for PEDs. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#2 CMChargers

CMChargers

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:56 PM

Wow. Major hit. Any clue what the substance was?

#3 BigDiesel

BigDiesel

Established Member

• Members
  • 609 posts

What in the world would make him want to do that? Why would he even think to do such a thing, I know he was in a close race with Treon Harris for QB but dang it wasn't worth that

#4 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,252 posts

Wow. Major hit. Any clue what the substance was?

No clue it just broke

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#5 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

What in the world would make him want to do that? Why would he even think to do such a thing, I know he was in a close race with Treon Harris for QB but dang it wasn't worth that

I do not feel sorry for him at all. Although he'll come out and say "I didnt know, I didnt know" but he did and now he is being punished. I watched Harris play in HS he can ball. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#6 BigDiesel

BigDiesel

Established Member

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:59 PM

I don't feel sorry for him as well, he deserves whatever punishment he gets. That is a major blackeye for Florida and under a 1st year head coach

#7 portcity FB

portcity FB

Established Member

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:09 PM

Very selfish too. Fla is having a great season and now this. Things could turn fast for them.

#8 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:10 PM

Devastating news. Just really getting going. Thoughts go out to him and his family. 19 year old kids make mistakes. Hope he learns from it.

#9 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

Do i feel sorry for him? Not in the slightest. But our society, especially when it comes to sports, has become so ultra competitive... Guys are willing to do whatever it takes to gain an edge as fast as possible now. Because quite frankly if you dont you get left behind.

#10 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:22 PM

It now makes sense how he went from 168 to 215 just a couple months later. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#11 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

I hope the FBI gets involved and finds out who was supplying this kid with the juice. Everyone is shaming this kid and rightfully so but others are probably to blame.

If history is any indicator there's a sting chance that some of his teammates are also juiced. I like the kid and I like Florida but this is a black eye for that program.

#12 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:31 PM

I hope the FBI gets involved and finds out who was supplying this kid with the juice. Everyone is shaming this kid and rightfully so but others are probably to blame.

If history is any indicator there's a sting chance that some of his teammates are also juiced. I like the kid and I like Florida but this is a black eye for that program.

He took something that was over the counter. There was a warning on it that said "Do not take if you are subject to anti doping" OOPS! 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#13 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,142 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

I am hearing that he has been using over the counter supplements.  No idea, just something I have heard.  I know that he did everything he could to put on weight during and right after high school and went from about 195 to close to 215 since last season.  That seems like a lot but at that age you can see some growth.  HIs father and uncle are both big guys, he is tall but was always skinny.

We have seen before where over the counter supplements caused a positive PED test although the ingredient is not listed but later found to be in samples per USADA testing.  In addition some supplements bought over the counter do have ingredients that are on the illegal substance lists.  

I know some national/world class track guys that take nothing more than a multi vitamin each day because they are so afraid of what may be in any type of supplement.  

Question, if it is an over the counter supplement how do you feel about a full 365 day suspension?  Think that is a little extreme.  

#14 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,142 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:40 PM

You should delete this post as it is not accurate.  He weighed over 195 school year and was listed at 201 for the spring game.  In May 2012 at a combine he weighed 172. That is 40 months ago.

#15 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,142 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:41 PM

If it is what they say, you and I and a high schooler can buy it over the counter.

#16 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,142 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

When you walk in an A5 college weightroom they will normally have an area where each player has a small cube.  Each morning there will be the tablets and vitamins he is to take that day.  Some will have a list of foods for him to eat.  Others have a keycard that they can give to the dining people that has their meals for each session.  Some schools not only have a training table they have a food prep team by the workout area to include foods, protein shakes, and other nutrition items. 

I am not sure but I would think a player could get some type of supplement fromt he staff that met the guidelines.  Appears he bought a supplement and did not get it cleared.  

#17 Appvol

Appvol

Established Member

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

Emmanuel Moseley went to Tennessee weighing 145 as a early enrollee and weighed 175 by August.
VFL

#18 AlmaPinnix11

AlmaPinnix11

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

This is offtopic.. no?

#19 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

Anyone who listens to that kids press conference and doesn't have some empathy is one cold hearted person.I think the penalty needs to be harsh and it's the reason you see so little of this, but that doesn't mean my heart doesn't go out to him and his family.

I also thought Mcilwaine handled it very well. I see why they like him so much.

#20 CMChargers

CMChargers

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

He was busted for Ligandrol.

LIGANDROL-by-CHEM-TEK-Labs.gif

All reports on body buiding sites/reddit seem to be that it will have you feeling like a monster.

#21 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

I was told by someone who works pretty closely in FL with sports and such that he got "huge" these past couple of months. 

And no I don't feel bad for him at all because on the bottle it says clearly "Do not take if subject to anti-doping" it doesn't take that long to read over the bottle. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#22 6mvp1

6mvp1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

Man I seen him at the Y when he was leaving go to Florida and I swear he was about 120 lbs

He's 19, 19 year olds are dumb... But I can't feel sorry for simply Bc I seen him on the aau basketball court in high school acting like a little spoiled rich kid.... Maybe this will humble him

#23 6mvp1

6mvp1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:42 PM

Well you can speculate and blame whatever substance you want... The test doesn't test for specific supplements

He could have been loading up in every steroid known to man and blame it on an over the counter

#24 6mvp1

6mvp1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

Anyone who listens to that kids press conference and doesn't have some empathy is one cold hearted person.I think the penalty needs to be harsh and it's the reason you see so little of this, but that doesn't mean my heart doesn't go out to him and his family.

I also thought Mcilwaine handled it very well. I see why they like him so much.

Kind of hard for me... Call me cold hearted but when I seen him kick a kid laying on the ground during a basketball game I kind of lost that

#25 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:01 PM

Don't know the kid. Seen him play once. I have heard various reports. I think you can both shake your head at the stupidity and also feel for what it must be like to have to face your family, your teammates and then the press knowing that you let everyone down. It's not hard to jump forward in time and think he may very well have ended his career. Ultra competitive school like Florida where you could find yourself 4th on the depth chart by this time next year. Just tough to see unfulfilled potential

JeffChapman-Dynamic