Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Civil War

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:21 PM

I am a history nut and have been watching my favorite mini series from back in the day "North and South," and it made me wonder what side I would have truly been on. So I figured I would post this here, who would you have supported plus why? In hindsight it's easy to say the south were evil but they were caught in a way of raising to where they know no better. Many people around here had hardly any slaves, Surry county had only 10% slaves at best.

Most of my family/ancestors were poor farmers we were lucky to make it so I don't see us going south due to slavery, but sectional pride? Maybe so.

BTW I considered this long before that idiot in Charleston did what he did.

#2 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

I'm a structure and rules kind of guy, so I like for things to fall into a neat order and for everyone get along and follow the same playbook...but I can also completely see how a person raised in the South who had never seen any other parts of the world could look around him one day and truly believe that what he saw was absolutely the way that it should be done. Why would he/she ever think otherwise?

The roots of the Civil War did not involve slavery at all (the North didn't want to touch that subject with a ten foot pole for a very long time), but what I've always thought truly led us to that point was the lack of a strong national government voice for the first 100 years of our existence. The North was free to evolve however they wanted to. The South was free to evolve however they wanted to. There were no checks and balances in place to keep anyone from straying from the established norm...and stray they did. Both sides, really. Without a strong central voice steering people in the same direction, then it was pretty inevitable that their paths diverged to the point that they could no longer see eye-to-eye.

#3 Jim West

Jim West

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:28 AM

I am a history nut and have been watching my favorite mini series from back in the day "North and South," and it made me wonder what side I would have truly been on. So I figured I would post this here, who would you have supported plus why? In hindsight it's easy to say the south were evil but they were caught in a way of raising to where they know no better. Many people around here had hardly any slaves, Surry county had only 10% slaves at best.

Most of my family/ancestors were poor farmers we were lucky to make it so I don't see us going south due to slavery, but sectional pride? Maybe so.

My direct ancestors came from the Jamestown colony and Isle of Wight.  We then settled down in Sampson County NC, and unfortunately, they were slave owners.  At the time, we were part of the aristocracy of the United States.  After the Civil War, we were just poor peasant farmers.

I think it's next to impossible for me to state what I would have done.  I'd probably have been in Sampson County, probably ignorant of how things went on across the nation and the world.  I probably would have been told that I must accept my surroundings...and I probably would have rebelled.  I've got a strong Contrarian streak inside of me.  I don't necessarily take things as presented to me as the absolute truth.  I have a feeling that I would have become a Quaker and help with the underground railroad.  Both of my parents grew up in the Jim Crow South, and both remembered how people were taught to "accept" certain things.  My mother's first two teaching positions were in a segregated Black school.  On her first day teaching, she ate in the same cafeteria as the other teachers and students...except for the white teachers.  One of the older ladies asked her if she was uncomfortable, and Mom responded that she didn't think twice about it.  Mom told her peer that she was an equal, nothing more, nothing less.

As far as what happened down in Charleston, it really breaks my heart that we still live in a society where someone that is mentally ill can obsess over a nation that was terminated 150 years ago, not to mention that the country (Confederate States of America) only existed a little more than 4 years.  The animosity that goes on with racial polarization disturbs me.  I was always taught that everyone should be treated as an equal.  I think I do a pretty good job of treating everyone as equal...I dunno.  The only thing I can do is treat people fairly and with dignity and grace.  

#4 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:38 PM

It's interesting and a lot more complicated than most people think.  I recommend William Trotter's three part history of North Carolina in the Civil War for anyone who wants to understand how the war played out in this state. My own Great-grandfather ended the war in the 3rd NC mounted infantry regiment-a Union unit (more accurately Union partisans), but he began the war in a Confederate unit.  What caused him to change sides and what course he took from the beginning of the war until the end, I don't know (I can speculate, but I only know the broad outlines of what happened with him).  If I would have grown up in the same place that I did, but in a different time, I almost certainly would have been a Confederate soldier because that would have been what the social expectation would have been and only a few were able to resist that.  If I would have survived the war I think I would probably had mixed feelings about it.  I think I probably would have looked back on my time in uniform with a lot of pride, but i probably would have wondered if I might not have served a better cause-especially given the incredible stupidity of so much of the Confederate leadership.

Note-I say all this as a multiple tour veteran of the war in Iraq, about which I have no regrets (other than that we ultimately withdrew and that IS was allowed to grow into the cancer that plagues the world today).  Historically I don't look back at the Confederacy as any sort of "lost cause", but I think i can understand the motivation of some of the individual soldiers well enough and i think they can't be reduced to something as simple as "for" or "against" slavery.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#5 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:22 PM

What one sees regarding the confederate flag issue, is basically a redneck who knows absolutely nothing about the civil; war, it origins and causes.  Persons such as these are an embarrassment to humanity as are the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

JeffChapman-Dynamic