Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

North Carolina Placed on Probation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

The Southern Association of Schools and Colleges today placed The University of North Carolina @ Chapel Hill on a 12 month probation as a result of the problems linked to the African Studies program and the athletes that took the courses.  I have felt all along that this was an academic issue and the university did not maintain proper supervision by the Chancellor and the Dean of Students.  This probation is warranted and just maybe the administration will provide the necessary guidance. The Southern Association knows much more about academics than the NCAA.

#2 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:20 AM

For once you and I are i n agreement Derek.

#3 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,319 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

Why is that all the classes that were rogue came from one academic department?  That is a department that has always been a political hands off time bomb and not just at UNC.  It mirrors America and society.  

All graduates from UNC should be absolutely pissed off that one of the best academic public universities allowed this department to run loose as it did.

I guarantee you the majority of students that graduate from UNC busted their butts if they did better than average.

#4 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

And you are right. A vast majority of them worked hard, and earned their degrees. It is sad that a few have caused the school to go through all of this. It really isn't fair to those working hard right now.

After this punishment I am interested to see what the NCAA does now. Do they back off or go full steam ahead? Really interesting case to watch over the next few months. 

There are so many egomaniacs in Shawnee Mission the the probation by the accrediting body flew over their expanded crainiums.  IMO, the accrediting body has a hell of a lot more influence that the NCAA.

JeffChapman-Dynamic