Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

North Carolina Placed on Probation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

The Southern Association of Schools and Colleges today placed The University of North Carolina @ Chapel Hill on a 12 month probation as a result of the problems linked to the African Studies program and the athletes that took the courses.  I have felt all along that this was an academic issue and the university did not maintain proper supervision by the Chancellor and the Dean of Students.  This probation is warranted and just maybe the administration will provide the necessary guidance. The Southern Association knows much more about academics than the NCAA.

#2 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

The only other sanction more severe than this is taking away their accrediation as a university.

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#3 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:20 AM

For once you and I are i n agreement Derek.

#4 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

Why is that all the classes that were rogue came from one academic department?  That is a department that has always been a political hands off time bomb and not just at UNC.  It mirrors America and society.  

All graduates from UNC should be absolutely pissed off that one of the best academic public universities allowed this department to run loose as it did.

I guarantee you the majority of students that graduate from UNC busted their butts if they did better than average.

#5 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

Why is that all the classes that were rogue came from one academic department?  That is a department that has always been a political hands off time bomb and not just at UNC.  It mirrors America and society.  

All graduates from UNC should be absolutely pissed off that one of the best academic public universities allowed this department to run loose as it did.

I guarantee you the majority of students that graduate from UNC busted their butts if they did better than average.

And you are right. A vast majority of them worked hard, and earned their degrees. It is sad that a few have caused the school to go through all of this. It really isn't fair to those working hard right now.

After this punishment I am interested to see what the NCAA does now. Do they back off or go full steam ahead? Really interesting case to watch over the next few months. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#6 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

And you are right. A vast majority of them worked hard, and earned their degrees. It is sad that a few have caused the school to go through all of this. It really isn't fair to those working hard right now.

After this punishment I am interested to see what the NCAA does now. Do they back off or go full steam ahead? Really interesting case to watch over the next few months. 

There are so many egomaniacs in Shawnee Mission the the probation by the accrediting body flew over their expanded crainiums.  IMO, the accrediting body has a hell of a lot more influence that the NCAA.

#7 Jim West

Jim West

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:46 PM

I worked hard for my diploma.

As far as the AFAM department goes, I took one course entitled "African-American History pre-1865".  The class was taught by Robert Porter, and it was my most enjoyable class in my four years at Carolina.  In fact, I became close friends with Mr. Porter after I graduated from UNC...he even attended my wedding in Plymouth back July 1995.  

I wouldn't label this as the entire AFAM department.  I think it was probably less than half of the entire department that contributed to this debacle.  Poor leadership at the top was the biggest culprit.

As far as education goes, I somewhat dismiss the notion that UNC is that much better than other public universities within the state.  After I graduated from UNC, I went back to Durham Tech to take some accounting courses so I could get my CPA license.  My instruction at Durham Tech was for the most part on the same level as the instruction at UNC.  I'm sure other UNC grads will take offense to my statement, but I stand by it.  The best way to get an education has to come within...the better instructors can tap into that energy, and I don't think UNC has any sort of "secret sauce" that makes them any more special than other schools.

As far as badmouthing UNC by labeling the entire university as cheats based on this scandal, that's beyond unfair.  Most of us, then and since, busted our butts to make our grades.  I 100% agree with btango.

JeffChapman-Dynamic