Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

How long have you been a NASCAR fan?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,476 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

How long have you been a NASCAR fan?  And who's your favorite driver, drivers? Or do you follow a specific manufacturer? 

Growing up in Kannapolis and being the neighbor of former NASCAR crew member David Oliver (who was once married to Dale Earnhardt's sister), I was indoctrinated into being an Earnhardt fan from the start.

I would say that I knew of racing as early as the 1979 season, but probably really became a diehard fan around 1981 or thereabouts.

I've always been an Earnhardt fan and still pull for Dale Jr., but I also pull for most Chevrolet drivers and a few others.  

I've probably been to at least 100 races or more.  I started going to races as a kid at Concord and Charlotte Motor Speedway.  I've been do dozens of Charlotte races, several in Daytona to include the Daytona 500, and races in Texas, Martinsville, and Rockingham. 

#2 Sam Spencer

Sam Spencer

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 237 posts
  • Email:CoachSpencer82@yahoo.com

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

Since I was about 10 or so.  My first race was sitting on the backstretch at Charlotte with my dad in the mid 90's, I think he paid $19 for those tickets.  Been to every Coke 600 since.  Really enjoy going to local short tracks when I get a chance, Orange County, Caraway, and Ace.  Always been an Earnhardt Sr. and Jr. fan, growing in Durham I followed Scott Riggs pretty close also.  

#3 Coach Long Hair

Coach Long Hair

Established Member

• Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

First race was 1982. Pit passes at Rockingham. Harry Gant was and still is my favorite driver.

#4 purplemountaineer

purplemountaineer

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

I started pulling for Harry Gant when I was a young boy cause he was my dad's favorite driver. I guess it was in 1984, cause that's the year he almost won the cup championship. After he retired, we started pulling for Sterling Marlin up til he retired. After Marlin retired, Dad didn't watch much racing after that, but I started to pull for ol smoke Tony Stewart, and have been a fan of his since.

#5 Eagles 1313

Eagles 1313

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

Started watching NASCAR when I was a young kid probably 1990 was the earliest I really can remember.  I was a Bill Elliott fan from the beginning and watched every race every Sunday at my grandpas with my family.  After the passing of Dale Sr, for some reason I became and started following Dale, Jr.  Why? I don't know just wanted someone new to pull for that was popular for my age at the time.  NASCAR has always symbolized family for me because that's how I grew up watching it.

I've been to Daytona for the old Pepsi 400 and been to Charlotte several times for the All-Star race with the most memorable being the year Kyle Petty and Davey Allison wrecked at the start finish line.

#6 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:52 PM

I'm relatively new compared to most of you guys but I got into it solidly in  Decemeber of 2004.  

I watched it as a little kid and used to be a major Gordon fan (in fact one of my favorite childhood memories was recording me arguing with my dad over who was better Gordon or Martin. I was only 5.. haha) but I didn't watch it solidly until the start of the 2005 season.

I found a marathon on ESPN Classic in tribute to Earnhardt Sr as his ESPN was premiering a few days later. They showed 2 races from 1995 and I got hooked into it, then the next day I skipped school and watched some of his 80's races and the 95/99 Bristol races that's what got me. I lost interest due to the nightmare Johnson 5 in a row years (first year was my 8th grade year, last of the 5 years was my senior year.) But the 2011 season re-started my love and it's mostly been around since even if this year has sucked imo so far.

Fav drivers? Prob my favorite all time is Smoke. I aboslutley hate what has happened to him with a passion. Hope he finds that spark this year I think he will. 

I also enjoy Mark Martin (older I got more he grew for me,) Gordon still (Him owning Keslowski was the best moment of the year last year,) Kyle Larson (he's got good potential, just needs to pass that hump,) and Carl Edwards. Old school prob my all time favorite was Bobby Allison. Also liked Davey Allison (my dad's all time favorite, he still doesn't enjoy NASCAR as much since he died,) and Harry Gant (a forum favorite from what I see.) 

JeffChapman-Dynamic