Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

The future of ACC Football

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:08 PM

Alright gentlemen,

It is the off season so we need topics to keep discussion going. One topic I think is very interesting is the future of football in the ACC. There are several programs like Florida State and Clemson that I fully expect to stay on top over the course of the next few years, but after that it gets tricky. 

What are your thoughts on the ACC? Do you see another school rising to the top in either division? Or are we going to continue to see FSU and Clemson basically battle it out for ACC supremacy? 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#2 CMChargers

CMChargers

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:19 PM

I expect this to be Clemson's down year. Their defense is gone. Cant wait for the Irish to roll into Death Valley on October 3rd

#3 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

I have no expectations for my Canes in 2015 truthfully. If Golden wins a bowl game I'll be happy and if he can keep the #1 recruiting class in the country together for 2016 that'll go a long way, but he has to win games first. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#4 Jim West

Jim West

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

I think we have your basic 4 tiers in ACC football for 2015:

Tier 1:  Florida State, Clemson.  Both programs should be fine next year.  Clemson might be a bit young, but I like where the Tigers are heading.  FSU is, well, FSU.  

Tier 2:  VA Tech, Miami, Louisville.  These three teams have better programs than most in the conference.  On any given year, they can be dominant.  Miami used to be in Tier 1, but since joining the ACC, their program has floundered  in comparison to the 1980's and 1990's.  VA Tech is only in this tier based on my respect for their coach and the fact that I have a feeling they will rise again this upcoming year.

Tier 3:  GA Tech, Duke, UNC, NC State, Pitt.  In this pack, Duke and NCSU are on the rise.  Truthfully, NCSU might be in Tier 2, but we shall see.  

Tier 4:  Wake, BC, Syracuse, Virginia.  These programs have slipped over the past several years.  BC had a decent year last year, but I'm not sold on  them yet. 

#5 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

If I had to pick a team to put in tier 3 and move to tier 2 I'd switch Miami and GT. Georgia Tech was 2 points away from an ACC title while Miami was 6-7. 

Not sure the canes are worthy of tier 2 even though GT loses a ton!

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#6 Sam Spencer

Sam Spencer

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 235 posts
  • Email:CoachSpencer82@yahoo.com

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:53 PM

I would say we have a three tier conference, I don't see a whole lot of difference in the teams Jim listed in tier 2 and tier 3.  I would like to see Cut land a big time QB at Duke, they could really be a threat to win the conference then.  NC State is on the upswing, Carolina and Wake will both be better next year.  VT seems to be on the decline to me, I don't know if they're just not getting the level of recruits they have in the past or what.  I think Pitt can really improve quickly if they get a coach to stick around a while, there is some good talent in western Pa. and Ohio they can go after.  Don't know much about BC and Cuse other than there warmer places to go to college, although Cuse plays in a dome.  At the end of the day, it's FSU's conference until somebody takes it from them.  Don't really see that happening anytime soon.

#7 Jim West

Jim West

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:04 PM

ThrowitAround made a great observation about Pitt and its talent base.  After the Sandusky deal, I thought Pitt might see a boon in recruiting at the expense of Penn St., but I haven't seen it.  What hurts Pitt, IMHO, is the fact that they aren't in the same conference with West Virginia.  The Backyard brawl was a classic rivalry...and it has been defunct since 2011.  

Who would Pitt's biggest rival be on their 2015 schedule?  Virginia Tech?  

#8 CMChargers

CMChargers

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

Pitt has the best defensive mind in the country at the helm now in Pat Narduzzi. Wait for them to get better very quickly. At the very least they will be a tough as nails team that nobody wants to play.

#9 Emily Craft

Emily Craft

Senior Staff

• Correspondent
  • 12,661 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:48 AM

I'm impressed with what Doeren is doing at State. As a state fan, I never get my hopes up, but it is nice to see him making big moves in a short amount of time.

On that note, It will be interesting to see what he does with 3 highly rated RBs...

JeffChapman-Dynamic