Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

The topic of Michael Sam

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

Well, it happened an openly gay man is going to play in the NFL. Michael Sam an All American DE from Mizzou was drafted in the 7th round by his hometown Rams(hometown as referring to college, idk where he grew up). As the moment happened I was on twitter and I have to say some of the stuff slung this young mans way was entirely out of line and disgusting. Many flipped out because ESPN showed him kissing his boyfriend, yes after the initial kiss they did go back a few times and if I was the man running it I would've gone back for an interview and that'd be it. However, people seemed to flip. Yet when a young man is drafted and makes out with his girlfriend on ESPN its ok? Yes ESPN may have milked it a little too much for ratings, but still. Un-needed hatred towards this young man is totally disgusting. Many started to bring up that it would mess with the teams chemistry/unity. Really? The nets seem just fine with Collins...media blitz died down after about a week and same will go on here. People went on rants about how Tim Tebow was "mocked" for his faith yet Sam is praised. Well for one thing Tebow was not mocked because of his faith, he was mocked because he sucked, not because he was christian and made it know(Polamalu makes a sign of the cross EVERY time he comes off the field- not mocked). I leave you with one last thing...if you cannot explain Michael Sam do children have fun explaining Ray Lewis, Jameis Winston, Big Ben and a host of other NFL players who have been accused of rape, murder, robbery, and other violent crimes. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,002 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

Good for him being drafted. I don't have a problem but ESPN did go overboard with the coverage and the PDA was excessive but it is what it is.

#3 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

Good for him being drafted. I don't have a problem but ESPN did go overboard with the coverage and the PDA was excessive but it is what it is.

Like I said...milked it for the ratings I wouldnt have but they did 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,002 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

I thought the whole kissing scene was staged. It didn't look impromptu or real spur of the moment.

#5 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

sign of the times, some of our grandparents would roll in their graves..  especially if they knew the president of the US proudly spoke out about it.. as soon as he found out, how gay

And their grandparents would roll in their graves if they knew we gave right to african americans....times change. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#6 CMChargers

CMChargers

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Well, it happened an openly gay man is going to play in the NFL. Michael Sam an All American DE from Mizzou was drafted in the 7th round by his hometown Rams(hometown as referring to college, idk where he grew up). As the moment happened I was on twitter and I have to say some of the stuff slung this young mans way was entirely out of line and disgusting. Many flipped out because ESPN showed him kissing his boyfriend, yes after the initial kiss they did go back a few times and if I was the man running it I would've gone back for an interview and that'd be it. However, people seemed to flip. Yet when a young man is drafted and makes out with his girlfriend on ESPN its ok? Yes ESPN may have milked it a little too much for ratings, but still. Un-needed hatred towards this young man is totally disgusting. Many started to bring up that it would mess with the teams chemistry/unity. Really? The nets seem just fine with Collins...media blitz died down after about a week and same will go on here. People went on rants about how Tim Tebow was "mocked" for his faith yet Sam is praised. Well for one thing Tebow was not mocked because of his faith, he was mocked because he sucked, not because he was christian and made it know(Polamalu makes a sign of the cross EVERY time he comes off the field- not mocked). I leave you with one last thing...if you cannot explain Michael Sam do children have fun explaining Ray Lewis, Jameis Winston, Big Ben and a host of other NFL players who have been accused of rape, murder, robbery, and other violent crimes. 

Here is your video of Tebow being mocked.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tQIJ56rltjU

Anyways, people are mad about Sam because he is only getting so much attention because of his sexuality. No other 200-something overall pick gets cameras at his house for the draft. It would piss me off if I was on the Rams. In my opinion, equality for gays would come a lot easier if it wasn't a circus every time somebody announced they were gay. 

Also, you cant put much stock in anything said on social networking. Go look at literally any of a celebrities tweets and look at the idiot responses that follow. 

As far as the makeout sesh on ESPN, most football fans I know would rather hear about the draft or what Sam can bring to the table as a player rather than what his boyfriend looks like.

Lastly, a large majority of Americans either believe in Christianity, Judaism, or Islam. All teach that homosexuality is a sin. You cannot be surprised that most people dont support his behavior. (What are they teaching at Catholic)  :P

He should be respected as any other player, and judged for nothing but his production on the field.

#7 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

CMC....fun fact the reform part of Judaism actually has same-sex marriage. Reform Judaism is rather new but quickly growing and becoming very popular they have a temple in Shalom Park off Providence Rd...Temple Bethel I think...not sure dont quote me on the name lol. To jaydogg: You're damn right you have a right to disagree/be against it and that is one thing I love about this country is that you can...also I was not saying you were pro-slavery or anything just saying how people progress from era to era if you will. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#8 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

A somewhat chaste kiss?  Meh.

Smashing cake into each other's face?  That came off as staged and contrived.

Oh, and yeah, I do think ESPN has been beating it to death.  I can get political news on lots of other networks but I go to ESPN to get away from politics.  Sometimes politics and sports are intertwined, and that's fine, but give it a minute or two and move on.  I think sportswriters suffer from "real news" envy to a certain extent and will go on and on with a story like this to show that they are "real journalists" too.

Sam may not make the team-he had an awful pro day and he has been described as "a tweener".  What happens then?  If he wouldn't have been drafted I am sure that there would have been plenty of voices screaming 'homophobia"  That's a big problem with agenda driven news-it becomes difficult to disentangle the news from the agenda.  Will the Rams get a pass for drafting him, if they end up cutting him?  Maybe for the most part, but if that happens I am certain there will be many accusing also them of discrimination.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#9 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:55 AM

If he gets cut I won't be in any uproar I know that because that STL DL is LOADED and he is a big undersized....he has a chance but if he doesnt make the cut we all know that they'll say it is because he is gay even though it'd more than likely be because he was not good enough sadly mass media does not think logically 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#10 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Clay Aiken.....if he is an "agenda" pawn then I just dont know what Obama is smoking lol 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

JeffChapman-Dynamic